Thursday, October 4, 2007

Health Care propoganda

Please let me first say I am neither republican or democrat, which means despite the fact that I pay taxes I can not vote in the primaries, but it also means I have the freedom to express exactly what I believe without alienating a group to which I belong. Yesterday President Bush vetoed a bill that would expand children's health care in the United States citing, "Poor kids first," Bush said. "Secondly, I believe in private medicine, not the federal government running the health care system." I guess it is easy to believe in private medicine when you don't have to pay your own medical bills, you haven't lost a job because the cost of health care has lead to lay offs and you haven't lost a family member because you couldn't afford to pay for the needed care, this is what happens in private health care, make no mistake about it. Health care is a business, which means health care for those who can afford it, and damn the rest. If you think current govt programs are helping, let me enlighten you. If you are a medical practice that takes medicare you can expect to lose twenty cents on the dollar for every medicare patient, this means you can only afford to accept so many, in my community if you are on medicare or Medicaid you can expect to wait up to two months to be seen in a practice that accepts your crappy insurance, and when you are seen they wont have much time to see you because they have to see more patients to cover the cost of seeing you at all. When I was practicing (note that was only a year ago) I was the only one who accepted the Iraqi veterans insurance for about a 50 mile radius, because it paid so terribly none of the other practices would accept it. So let's keep going with the business of medicine such that the pharmaceutical industry, health insurance industry, liability insurance industry, and private hospitals can continue to get rich and the rest of us can die slowly, in pain, without the means for humane treatment or intervention. Thank you Mr. President!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your post very interesting. It seems that you are advocating for a single-payer, government run system; yet at the same time discussing how poorly the government systems are working. I see this as the problem with going single-payer. If medicare/medicaid/et al are currently doing so poorly, why would more of the same be the solution? I am an RN who works PICU and have discussed this in great detail on my own blog and would love to hear your opinion. You seem to be an intelligent, compassionate person and I would welcome your thoughts.

Drmatt said...

Hi Marty,
Thanks for writting. Yes, I am defintely criticizing the current federal system. I would be a liar if I said that I don't think a single payer govt system is what we need. Two points though, first point is I try not to actually advocate for a single payer govt system because I am open to new ideas, I never said I have answers, but I do know all the important questions. Number two, the current government system grew as a bandaid to a health care system for the working population, additionally, if the administrative cost of providing medical care wasnt so high then what medicare and medicaid would probably be enough (granted how they pay could use some work). I cover all of this in my book, I am not out to get rich or famous, just to advocate change, so I would happily email my book to you (being that I cant afford to pay for publishing and no publisher has picked it up yet).
matt