Tuesday, October 2, 2007

US Health Care

Having been a customer of the system and a person who did business within the system I am in a very unique position to see it from both sides. I can only wonder, however, why it is that the general population does not take a more active role to affect change. The "business" of medicine is just that, business. When you talk business you must talk, profit, loss and bottom line. There is little room for discussions about providing the most care to the most people, unless it is the most care to the most people with money. I once attended a class to get ready for the USMLE (united states medical licensing exam) where the professor spoke briefly about malaria, which kills millions of people a year, then he said "don't study malaria.................it doesn't kill anybody with money. Instead study Lyme disease which affects, not lethally mind you, about 1500 people a year." If you are under the illusion that a medical system run buy the private business sector is the best thing, get sick, get so sick that you lose your job (then of course your insurance), then give me a call as the bank is foreclosing your home and you have written off your life long savings to the hospital. This does not seem to be the way a civilized society should care for it's populace. For those of you who are afraid that allowing the government to rule the medical system, well, I am afraid too, but consider this, England, Canada, Switzerland, Germany and many others have a government controlled health care system and if you pole the people or the doctors they are quite satisfied...hmmmmmm...... I think the US government is at least as good as those governments, also we let our govt run; public education, medicare, the military, space exploration, agriculture and many other very important programs and we seem to be doing ok with those. Hmmmmmm? Your Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people that isn't too impressed by how the US Govt. does those jobs you've listed.
Canada, the hospitals I've seen look nice but there are some issues. The NHS facilities I saw in London left me saying "Hell No " !
I'm somewhat shocked in the current climate you can't get the book published. Keep plugging.

Drmatt said...

I agree that there is always room for improvement, and that is in any large system I have seen. My primary advocacy is that we work together to benefit the health of as many of us as we can. Of course I am also a cynic of business and truly belive that "money is the root of all evil" thus it should somehow be removed from the health care system. Hmmm I worked in some really nice hospitals in the U.K. Thanks for the words of encouragement.!!! I will!!